We were contacted by the hero group known as the Justice Foundation. They tell us of a plan to simultaneously attack several Viper nests in order to triangulate their computer transmissions back to the main Viper instillation. The plan was bold and we agreed to assist. We needed to attack the L.A. Viper nest, which is one of the world's largest. The Justice Foundation suggests that we get some other local hero's to assist, considering how much resistance we might face (not to mention that Legion is not around). We put the word out and manage to get some local heroes to agree to the plan:
- Crusader and Starburst agree of course. Crusader has no love of Viper and Starburst usually is willing to help out Crusader.
- Nightstick: a street vigilante operating out of Chinatown. He doesn't agree to help us fight, but will use his considerable infiltration skills to scout the base for us.
- Mr. Nobody: a shapeshifter.
- Sgt. Eagle: A new face, at least to us.
- Life Line: obviously he won't help us in the raid, but will be around to assist with injuries.
- Black Phantom: technically retired, but he agreed to help in a limited fashion.
The base was of course well staffed with Viper agents wielding high tech gadgets. Viper did have several superpowered villians at their disposal.
- Brick: superstrong and able to throw chunks of himself
- Damage: a mutant who wears and armor suit
- Hammerhead: a powersuit wearer with a really big plasma cannon
- Mindwipe: a mentalist who is a little unstable
- Faze: and energy projector who "fazes" in and out of reality
- Shattershot: crazy hit man who likes shotguns
- Shadowfist: bodyguard of the head Viper, Style
Things got a little out of hand after that. Mindwipe was down but not exactly out, and we failed to make sure he was out of the fight. Before I knew it, Hooligan and Starburst went ahead to the next level down and met the main Viper force. At this point we lost local superiority. The next few minutes were a blur of fists, blasts, and gunfire. It was a hard slog, and tactics went out the window and it turned into a superpowered scrum. Hammerhead was as nasty as we thought, and his plasma cannon caused a lot of difficulty. There was also a mystery guest that we didn't know about, and we still are a little unsure about.
The details of the battle are not so important. I feel that my leadership was not quite up to the task of this raid, and with all the extra allies, I lost control. Thing got out of hand and chaotic. On the other hand, our team showed a lot of Grit in the face of a deadly enemy. We all fought "tooth and nail" and managed to eek out a victory when things looked grim.
I will cover the aftermath in the next entry.