Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ten Questions or Sucking up for Free XP

I noticed the "10 questions" section in the rulebook, so I thought I'd answer them for Volkrad. I'd encourage others to do the same.



Where are you from?
I'm from Grimminhagen, a medium size town in Middenland, not to far from where the story begins.

What is your family like?
I have a very close family. I have one older sister. My father is a laborer, putting food on our table any way he can. My mother is an expert gardener. They always protected me, even when they knew I was "different."

What is your social class?
As you may have guessed, peasant.

What did you do before you became and adventurer?
When I was old enough, I helped my father work. We hauled charcoal, worked in fields, etc. My "gift" was discovered the Celetial Wizard Faustus, who took my to Altdorf to become and apprentice. When I was ready to get my license, I went back home to find work. I did whatever I could, including using my new skill at writing and mathematics whenever possible.

Why did you become an adventurer?
I saved up enough money to get my journeymen's license. I got on a coach for Altdorf, but we ran into some soldiers who "requisitioned" the coach and most of my money for the war effort. I've been stuck in Untergard ever since, trying to think of a way to get enough money to become a journeyman. Adventuring seems like the easiest way.

How religious are you?
Very. I hold Verena dearest to my heart, but I respect all the gods. I pray to Sigmar to protect the empire from the hoards of Chaos. The gods guide my actions and decisions, and their plans and wishes can be read in the stars.

Who are your best friends?
I highly respect Faustus of course. He was kind and set me on the right path. My best friend from childhood was Gottolf, the son of a well-to-do Burgher. His father didn't like him hanging around with me, but he stuck by me.

What are your prized possessions?
My mother gave me some dried flowers from her garden, that I keep in a book.

Who are you loyal to?
The colleges of magic. I'm always on the lookout for dangerous hedge mages and others with the "gift" who need to be shown the right path. The winds of magic are too dangerous for the untrained. Of course, my family.

Who do you love/hate?
My respect for soldiers has certainly been shaken.
The only person I hate is a witch hunter. He tormented my family when I was growing up. Accusing me of witchery whenever he could. Even after my apprenticeship, he would not leave me alone. I understand the need to be vigilant, but I have followed all the rules, and do not use the winds for frivolous purpose.
I've never had much time for relationships with women, although I'm starting to worry that I'm getting to advanced in age to find a bride. I've sacrificed so much for my craft.

2 comments:

Your RHS said...

I would probably see fit to handing out some free XP for people who answered the 10 Questions in the book.

Delphino said...

Here is a test for people's roleplaying ability.

Where are you from?
Karak-Kadrin. Slayer Keep to the humans.

What is your family like?
Stern. My two brothers were following in the traditional family career of working the mines, where as I wished to become an artisan, perhaps a jeweler or silversmith. Mother didn’t approve and blocked my petitions for entrance, requests to get the specific materials and attempts to spend extra time outside of my duties with people who could help me develop my skills. Her mind was obsessed with the likelihood that Grum Ungrimson would be amongst my potential suitors and despite the likelihood that skills with the jewels would be useful to a potential queen, they aren’t what Queen Alrika seems to be looking for from Mother’s perspective.
I believe that she is overlooking the debt of honor which our family owns from the incident which caused my grandsire to become a Slayer.

What is your social class?
Working class, family of miners is where I am from. However, I am working on being upwardly mobile because the runebearers are considered a position of importance. Also despite the late date I hope to both 1) resolve the honor debt that grandfather accumulated and 2) gain the contacts to learn the silver smithing skills that I desire.

What did you do before you became and adventurer?
I stayed within the family model which my mother wanted me to remain in, before it became clear to me that she would never support my choices about the career that I wanted to pursue instead of becoming the queen of the Karak. I have left the Karak in order to loose myself amongst the humans while letting my mother arrange my marriage for me. To hide my trail I started cross-dressing and assuming the male patronymic. The beard was well made by a human bawd/courtesan within the Kislevian court.

Why did you become an adventurer?
I don’t consider myself an adventurer. I have jobs which have been placed before me which are all important and necessary in order to complete my disguise and keep/regain the honor which my family deserves.

How religious are you?
A bit. See above.
Who are your best friends?
I have cut ties with most of my friends since deciding to masquerade as a male. They can not lead my mother to me if she intends to stop my plan this time.

What are your prized possessions?
A bit of forged silver that I made in the few lessons that I was allowed to have. It is inscribed with the rune of Courage.
I keep it close to my heart as a way to remind myself that these are the dreams others can not take.

Who are you loyal to?
Those who show their commitment to that which I am following or pursuing at the moment. The task in front of us is all that is important, that and regaining the clan honor.

Whom do you love/hate?
My family, for both answers. They can’t see the desire within my heart, yet they are the fire that keeps me moving.


Nix what you want to Matt